Sunday, May 25, 2008

Forward the "Word" Or Else!

Originally posted Thursday, March 23, 2006 on Myspace

O.k. So I said I would have to blog on Christianity....Here's my first installment. What prompted this was the umpteenth (there's a word I've said often, but never spelled) e-mail that I have received from my well-meaning, but superstitious family and friends with a sweet, positive, mildly or blatantly Christian message which inevitably ends in what I can only view as a threat. They typically sound something like this, "pass this sweet, positive Christian message to at least 10 people or God will know you are a bad Christian!", or, "pass this on and receive a blessing from the almighty!" What a crock! I can't help but suspect that the only reason I have received the email is because the person sending it doesn't want to incur the wrath of God or wants that little free blessing! That is straight chain letter BS!

Now you might say that's a bit harsh. Why not just see it as a nice note that gets you to think about God, or just makes you feel good etc. I guess my problem is this. It always feels like coercion, a God guilt trip, forced evangelism. I just have this feeling that God does not need that kind of help.

Now here's the thing. Sometimes I do forward the nice, uplifting, inspiring things I read. Why not? If it is on my heart to share a word or two that touched me, I see no problem with it. But, and this is the important part, I never, never include the part that insists or even merely suggests that the next person forward this message to anyone. God gives us choices. Forwarding a message is a small thing, but it should always be a choice whether or not to share. I am a big believer in free will. No one gets to tell me how to share my faith. No one gets to threaten me with bad luck, or no blessing, or otherwise losing favor with my God.

So, there you have it, my first righteous rant. Don't worry there's more where that came from!

No comments: